Monday, October 4, 2010

A couple of Rachel's Talents

I have blogged recently about Rachel playing soccer.  I wanted to share with you some of  her other talents.  Two weeks ago we began renting a cello so she can learn this instrument.    She is using a 1/4 sized cello.  She is tall enough to use the 1/2 cello, but her hands are too small to get a good hold on the neck.  Her cello teacher believes she will trade up to a 1/2 size by the end of 4th grade.  She has aunique opportunity to learn the cello in 4th grade.  The orcestra insturments: violin, viola and cello are offered to 4th graders.  Other band instruments are offered in 5th.  Our school district requires private lessons in conjunction with playing an instrument through the school.  This has produced much better bands and more skilled students, especially in the high school.  Rachel will participate in a concert during the spring time. 


Here is a picture of her practicing in our living room.


At the end of 3rd grade, Rachel and several other students wrote prose about "The Best Part of Me"  Here is Rachel's:


The best part of me is my feet. My feet are as smooth as a new baby that was just born. My feet know how to play soccer and trick the goalie by passing the ball to the other foot. My feet will always remember the warm blue pool at my old house that gave them a massage. My feet can see the treasures in the river that people have left over the years. My feet hate otwear shoes because shoes to my feet are like a rainy day when you can't go outside. My feet are long and lare like flippers. My feet love when when my cat jumps on them to cover them like a blanket. My feet miss all the times I stole the soccer ball from people and made my famimly so happy. My feet are the best part of me because if I did not have them I would not feel free.

When Rachel was born she was my smallest baby, 6lbs 5oz, but her feet and fingers were very long.  I always comment on how long and skinny her feet are.  I am glad to know she admires them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment